What do I do if I’ve sent a payment to a closed or incorrect New Zealand bank account?

Last Updated: 13 Jul 2022

When you make a payment to a closed New Zealand bank account it will be returned by the receiving bank within a few business days.

If you make a payment to an incorrect account, you will need to contact the payee and request the money is returned.

If you don't know who the payee is, get in touch with us and we will advise you on what to do. 

  1. The best way to get in touch with us is by sending a message in FastNet Classic internet banking and one of our team will try to reply within the same business day. You'll need to let us know what date you made the payment, the amount, and the account number the payment was sent to. If you've forgotten your ASB login password, you can reset your password using the ASB Mobile Banking app.  
  2. Visit any ASB branch

We can send a request to recover the funds to the bank you paid. This is dependent on the recipient agreeing to return the funds and there is no guarantee that the recipient will agree to returning the funds.

Please note, there is a $40 fee for this service (Direct Credit Recovery). Please take care when making a One–Off payment, and make sure when you set up a self-selected Bill Payee, that you have the correct bank details for them.

For more ways to get help please see our contact us page

Did this answer your question?

Related Answers

Related topics

, , ,