Landlord's Home and Contents Insurance

Get cover for sudden and accidental loss or damage to your rental property and its contents, plus all the bells and whistles needed for a landlord's peace of mind.

Get started View policy wording

Benefits at a glance

  • Cover for loss of rent if your rental home becomes unliveable due to loss or damage or can't be tenanted because of an evacuation order.

  • Covers intentional damage to your rental home or landlord's contents caused by your tenants.

  • Provides cover for hidden gradual damage to your rental home or landlord's contents of up to $3,000 per year of insurance.

Your cover

Landlord's Home Insurance

Landlord's Home Insurance works just the same as a home policy but suits having renters living in the property. You'll be covered for things like sudden and accidental loss or damage, legal liability, loss of rent, natural disaster, post-event inflation, replacement of keys and locks, and sustainability upgrade.

Like with your home, it's important to have the right level of cover and regularly check how much it would cost to rebuild your rental home. Your sum insured should be the estimated maximum amount it would cost to repair or rebuild your home if it was damaged or destroyed. It needs to include costs for things like fences, driveways, demolition, debris removal, compliance, professional fees and GST.

Here are two options which could help you determine the sum insured for your rental home:

Your sum insured amount can also  impact your basis of settlement – the most we pay for loss or damage to your rental home:

Sum insured replacement

If your rental home is damaged or destroyed, we'll pay the costs to repair or rebuild your rental home up to your total sum insured, minus any applicable excess. 


If your rental home is damaged or destroyed by fire or an explosion, we'll pay the costs to repair or rebuild your rental home up to the same floor area - even if it ends up costing more than your home sum insured.

To qualify for Replacement cover:

  • Use the Cordell Sum Sure calculator and choose a sum insured that's equal to or greater than the Cordell Sum Sure Estimate for your rental home, or
  • Give us a call on 0800 200 252 to find out more about Replacement cover and how to qualify. 

Limits still apply to certain items. Please refer to your policy wording for the full details as well as exclusions and other terms.

Landlord's Contents Insurance

Landlord's Contents Insurance works if you're providing some furniture, furnishings, appliances or linen for your rental home. 

If your rental home is already covered through a separate body corporate or strata policy, the Landlord's Contents policy can cover your loss of rent in certain situations and you can choose to add the Rent default optional benefit.

Features and benefits of Landlord's Home and Contents Insurance

This table provides a summary of the features and benefits of ASB Landlord's Home and Contents Insurance. Please read the policy wording to understand all the terms, conditions, limits and exclusions that may apply. 

Landlord's Home
Landlord's Contents
Sudden and accidental loss or damage
Legal liability
Abandoned possessions
Electronic programs

Hidden gradual damage
Landlord's fixtures and fittings

(if not covered by your rental home policy)


Loss of rent
Methamphetamine contamination

Natural disaster
Post-event inflation

Removal of debris

Removal of unrepairable items

Replacement of keys and locks

Sustainability upgrade

Cover when replacing a whiteware appliance with a more energy-efficient model

Additional costs for heritage homes
Optional benefit
available to purchase

Excess-free glass and bathroom fixtures
Optional benefit
available to purchase

Lifestyle block fencing
Optional benefit
available to purchase

Rent default
Optional benefit
available to purchase
Optional benefit
available to purchase

For full details including limits, conditions and exclusions, read the policy wording.

View policy wording Get started

Get started today

1. Ready for a quote?

Get a quote online

2. Accept

Accept the quote and we'll put your cover in place. 

3. Update

If something changes that might affect your insurance, you can make changes online.


Need to make a landlord's home or contents insurance claim?

How to make a claim

Here are some suggestions and things to have ready to make your claim as smooth as possible.

Learn more

Ready to make your claim?

When you're ready, make your claim online or call us.

Online form Call now

You might also like

Contents Insurance

Protect your furniture, appliances, mobile phone and other personal belongings with ASB Contents Insurance.

Car Insurance

From third party only to full cover, we've got the cover to meet your needs and budget. 

Home Insurance

Your home is likely to be your most valuable asset, so protect it from loss or damage caused by an accident, major weather event, natural disaster or fire.

The availability of insurance cover is subject to your application being approved. Terms, conditions and exclusions apply. For full details, refer to the policy wording. Discounts apply to the base premium before GST and levies are factored in. Taxes and levies are subject to change as prescribed by legislation. Some discounts may also be applied to optional benefits. We apply our discounts one after another. This insurance is underwritten by IAG New Zealand Limited (IAG). See further details about IAG's financial strength rating.

Home and contents insurance ASB Landlord's Protection – Insurance for landlords | ASB