House insurance

If your home was damaged or destroyed, could you afford to repair or rebuild it yourself? ASB Home Insurance can help you to make sure your biggest and most cherished asset is covered.

Benefits at a glance

  • If your home becomes uninhabitable due to a loss covered by your policy, we'll pay up to $12,500 for temporary accommodation for your family
  • Get a package discount when you also take out ASB contents insurance and/or private motor vehicle insurance
  • Other discounts available include a claim-free discount and a burglar alarm discount
  • No excess or loss of claim-free discount if you need to claim on replacement keys and locks
  • You get legal liability cover if someone else’s property is damaged, for example if a tree from your property falls during a storm and damages your neighbour’s house
  • Stress payment of $1,000 if you suffer a total loss of your house

Getting enough cover

ASB Home Insurance is based on a 'sum insured' amount, which is the estimated cost for a total rebuild of your home, including things like the cost of debris removal, special features and GST.

Here are two ways you could calculate the 'sum insured' for your home:

1. Use the 'sum insured' calculator.

2. Get an insurance valuation from a registered valuer or other specialist.

For your own peace of mind, make sure you're happy with the 'sum insured' you've calculated. It's important to be as accurate as possible, because if it's too low, you may have to rebuild your home to a lesser size or quality, or pay for some of the building cost.

ASB Home Insurance cover includes:

  • Demolition and removal of debris
  • Recreational features - up to $40,000
  • Post-event inflation protection
  • Stress payment (in the event of a total loss)
  • Retaining walls - up to $20,000
  • Loss of rental income if your property is tenanted - up to $12,500
  • Hidden gradual damage, such as rot caused by leaking water, if you’re living in the home – up to $5,000
  • Trees, shrubs and hedges - up to $2,000

Let us know if you need cover for special features. These will need to be specified on your policy.

Benefit from multiple discounts

There are a number of discounts you could be eligible for on your ASB Home Insurance:

  • Up to 40% annual claim-free discount
  • Get a package discount when you take out any combination of ASB home, contents or private motor vehicle insurance
  • Receive a higher discount if you are aged 55 or over
  • A discount for a professionally installed burglar alarm

Please tell us

Your cover could be affected in the following circumstances, so please let us know if:

  • The occupancy of your property changes. This means things like deciding to rent your house out or if it will be unoccupied for 60 consecutive days or more
  • You are planning to or have made any structural alterations to your property

Please be aware

There are circumstances when you are not covered:

  • For intentional damage caused by the occupants (we do cover intentional damage caused by fire or explosion, unless caused by you or your spouse/partner)
  • When your home is under construction or when structural renovations are happening. If you're undertaking works at your home, please call us on 0800 200 252 to ask about contract works insurance (also known as builders’ cover)

Who underwrites this policy?

ASB has chosen IAG New Zealand Limited (IAG) to underwrite our house insurance and contents insurance. View IAG's financial strength rating.

Get started today

01. Calculate

Find out how much it would cost to rebuild your home.

02. Quote

Call 0800 200 252 or come into any ASB branch and we'll provide a personalised quote.

03. Decide

Accept the quote and we'll get your insurance put in place.

04. Update

Tell us if something changes that affects your house insurance.

Let's talk about house insurance

Call us

We can help you to arrange your house insurance over the phone.

0800 200 252

Visit a branch

Visit us at one of our many branches across New Zealand and get your insurance sorted.

Find a branch

Ask a question

Need some help? We can provide you with more information.

Ask us now

You might also like

Contents insurance

Protection for your furniture, appliances, personal possessions and for legal liability.

Car insurance

We have a range of car insurances to suit your budget - and they all come with the option of Roadside Rescue.

ASB Easy Life and Living

Easy Life and Living can offer financial protection from illness, disability, redundancy and death - and is quick and simple to arrange.

ASB general insurances are underwritten by IAG New Zealand Limited (IAG). For full details, refer to the relevant insurance policy document which is also available on request from any ASB branch or by calling 0800 200 252. The availability of insurance cover is subject to your application being approved. Exclusions apply. See further information regarding IAG’s financial strength rating. A minimum premium applies for all policies. Even if your policy qualifies for one or more discounts the total of these discounts cannot cause your premium to be less than the required minimum.

Home and contents insurance House insurance