ASB Good as Gold is an ASB initiative recognising, rewarding and helping wonderful people in our community.
This week’s recipient is Sharyn Burnett from Shirley, Christchurch who is truly worthy of some recognition. As a community worker with the Shirley Community Trust, she works 19 paid hours each week but then goes well beyond the call of duty adding many voluntary hours too. Sharyn stood out as being someone who has an exceptionally kind heart and goes that extra mile to help others in her local community.
Here are just some of the things Sharyn does for her community:
- Low cost or free bread distribution
- Tutor’s assistant in an adult literacy scheme, supplying home cooked or donated food for participants as well
- Runs a community cafe including contributing food
- Organizes and runs a fruit and vege co-op so the locals can have access to low cost fresh produce
- Organizes community meals and invites guest speakers to attend
- Runs a fundraiser second hand clothing stall that helps families access affordable school uniforms and other clothing
- Involved in the after school programme
- Organizes school holiday events such as a day bus trip to Hanmer Springs as well as 'Children's Day' - an annual event for kids and their families to go on a special outing
- Manages a fundraiser for locals who would not normally get a Christmas present
- Cleans the community centre
- Runs weekly afternoon bingo for fun and socializing
- Manages a team of 9-10 year olds for Shirley Rugby League Club
- On the advisory committee for both The Shine - a free family fun day, and "Light Party" which is an alternative to Halloween
- In the past she has also organized Zumba, Neighbourhood Watch, been a Brownie leader for thirty six years and was on the kindy committee for twenty years.
Not only does she do all this, but Sharyn also motivates and encourages others in the community to get involved in local initiatives. Following the Christchurch earthquakes, Sharyn and her troops were going house to house to check on anyone in need - especially all the single parents, refugees and elderly folk – and helping them with supplies and other support. Sharyn is a single mum and a grandmother, and is very committed to her family. She often 'goes without' herself because she is just too busy helping others in the community. Despite the challenges in her own life, Sharyn is always smiling. "My passion is to help people” she says. "Life isn't about what you get, it's about what you give."
We gave Sharyn a luxury, all inclusive Pacific Island cruise for her and a friend so she can take some time away for herself for a change. We hope you enjoy the break Sharyn!
Do you know someone in your community who deserves recognition? Nominate them for ASB Good as Gold.