If you think you’ve been targeted by an online or phone scam, please call us on 0800 327 863. We take security extremely seriously and will do everything we can to help.
We work very hard to keep your banking as safe as possible. But here are a few things you can do to keep it safe.
- Keep credit cards, EFTPOS card and cheque book in safe places.
- If someone knows your PIN, contact us immediately.
- If you lose your cheque book or Netcode device, contact us immediately.
- Check your bank statements regularly to make sure they match the transactions you made.
- Never share, write down or tell anyone your PIN number, access codes or passwords.
- Never store these codes in an unsecure file on your computer.
- Remember, ASB will never contact you directly asking you to confirm your PIN, online access code, online password or Netcode token serial number.
- Never email credit card details or share them with someone you don’t know over the phone.
- Never tell someone your credit card number or expiry date unless they are specifically required to buy something.
Here are some more specific tips for:
- Credit and Debit cards
- EFTPOS and ATMs
- Shopping online
- Contacting us on Twitter
- When you’re overseas
Credit and debit cards
- Always sign your new card as soon as you get it.
- Destroy any old documents or receipts that display your credit card number.
- Always choose a safe PIN.
- Use different PIN numbers for your different cards.
- Cut any expired cards in half.
- Make sure you get your card back after using it.
- Never let anyone else use your card.
- If you haven’t automatically received a reissued credit card before the current one expires please contact us immediately.
EFTPOS and ATMs
- Never use an ATM or EFTPOS terminal that looks like it may have been tampered with.
- Be careful when you use an ATM to make sure other people can’t see you enter your PIN.
- Be wary of anyone offering to help - especially if your card has just been retained (eaten) by the ATM.
- If your card has been retained by an ATM go to the nearest branch or call 0800 803 804 immediately.
- Always check for a secure browser connection before entering credit or debit card details online. Look out for a URL that starts with “https” or a locked padlock or unbroken key in the bottom right of your browser window.
- Never use your debit or credit card number as a form of ID.
- Only enter your details if you are ready to make a purchase.
- If you buy something online, print out a copy of the transaction for your records.
- Before buying online, check that the online store has a return and refunds policy.
- When using your card to buy things online, look for reputable Internet stores. If you are unsure, request more information from them about the company and the goods and services they are selling.
Contacting us on Twitter or Facebook
- To protect your security and privacy, please do not share any personal or sensitive information on Twitter or Facebook. We may ask you to Private or Direct Message us with information if required.
- Follow us on Twitter (@ASBBANK) so that we can send you DMs if needed.
- Never pre-sign blank cheques in your cheque book.
- Always cross non-cash cheques "NOT TRANSFERABLE" and cross out "or bearer".
- Remember that a cash cheque can be redeemed by whoever is holding it – even if that’s not the person you intended.
- Always keep a record of the cheque amount, date, and payee in the section provided for this in your cheque book.
- Remember sending a One-Off Payment online is safer – and it’s faster too.
When you're overseas
- Never leave travel documents, traveller's cheques or credit cards unattended.
- Where possible use safety deposit boxes or safes to store these items rather than leaving them in your suitcase or room.
- Consider traveller's cheques as a safe alternative to carrying large amounts of foreign cash.
- Consider using a credit or debit card for making payments while overseas. You can always transfer money to your credit card to give it a credit balance if you’re worried about exceeding your limit.
- If you lose your cheques or credit card, or your card is retained by an ATM, or you have any other banking security concerns, call us collect on +64 9 306 3000 immediately.
TIP: Contact and let us know before you go overseas, so that we know international transactions on your credit card are correct and not suspected as fraudulent transactions.